The coterminal Master's in Philosophy is an internal program available only to current Stanford undergrads. It permits Stanford undergraduates to study for a bachelor's and a master's degree simultaneously, in the same or different departments.
It is possible to earn an M.A. in Philosophy while earning a B.A. or B.S. at Stanford. This can usually be done by the end of the fifth undergraduate year, although a student whose degree is not in Philosophy may require an additional year. Standards for admission to, and completion of, this program are the same as for M.A. applicants who already have the bachelor's degree when matriculating. Applicants for the coterminal program are not, however, required to take the Graduate Record Exam.
University requirements for the coterminal M.A. are described in the "Coterminal Bachelor's and Master's Degrees" section of the Stanford Bulletin. For the coterminal degree application forms, see the Publications and Online Guides website.
How to apply
The coterm application form is available online: https://www.applyweb.com/stanterm/
Please turn in or email any supplementary materials or letters to the graduate administrator.
Coterm applications are accepted in Winter for Spring quarter admission only.
The application deadline is always the end of the second week of winter quarter.
The 2021 deadline is Friday, January 15, 2021.
The coterm application form is available online at: https://www.applyweb.com/stanterm/
- Transcript: Official Stanford transcript is requested and submitted through the on-line application.
- Statement of Purpose: Describe your reasons for applying to the Masters program.
- Coterm Approval Form: This needs to be signed by your undergrad major department and uploaded into the application.
- Writing Sample: Recent work on a philosophical topic, or a sample of your best work if no philosophical papers available.
- CV: optional.
- Letters of Recommendation: 2 letters of recommendation are required, preferably from Philosophy faculty and/or your advisor.
- GRE Scores: not required.
- Please turn in any supplemental materials to the graduate administrator's office in Bldg. 90.
The decision will be communicated to you approximately a month before the end of winter quarter to allow enrollment as a coterm in Spring quarter.
If you receive an offer of coterm admission, please communicate your decision to us ASAP before the start of Spring quarter.
Coterm Course Transfer
The Philosophy Department allows courses taken during or after the first quarter of the Sophomore year to be transferred to the graduate degree. No courses taken prior to the first quarter of the sophomore year may be used to meet master’s degree requirements.
Please turn in your course transfer to the Registrar's Office before applying to graduate from the undergrad degree; courses cannot be transferred between degrees once you have graduated from the undergraduate degree.
Registrar Coterm Course Transfer web page: https://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/registrar/students/coterm